Tuesday, April 7, 2009

no kidding

Interesting article Sunday in The Washington Post about how the recession has temporarily made the nursing shortage a thing of the past. Unsurprisingly, nurses are delaying retirement or returning to the workforce in an effort to stay afloat financially, which means even experienced nurses are having trouble finding work. Nursing advocates say this is obviously just a band-aid on the nursing shortage, and continue to urge legislators to consider measure that will alleviate the shortage when it reappears once the recession is over.

Anecdotal evidence from myself and my classmates (we graduated with our BSNs in May 2008) suggests this started to hit NYC last year. I applied to about a dozen hospitals late last summer and early fall, and although I was hired three times, in two cases a hiring freeze twice prevented me from taking the spot. (The third time there was an administrative mix-up.) I was not alone among my classmates in struggling to find work; many people were saying they couldn't even get interviews. Given the number of health sector lay-offs in the city in the past year, none of this is too surprising.

No comments:

Post a Comment